Some cities you may be considering operating a legal dispensary in may have licensing requirements. This is not the case in every city and the requirements for licensing also vary from city to city.
The first thing you will want to do is first check to see if the prospective city has dispensary license requirements at all. To do this you would need to check with your city planning department and your cities department of health. What most cities are looking for is your solid, concrete plan and compliance. To show an example of a pretty typical process of a what a dispensary permit looks like we’ll show the following for permits issued in Denver:
Medical Marijuana Dispensary License Procedures
1. Submit completed application and all required documents to Excise and Licenses
• Lease or Deed – if property is leased written consent from the owner of the property to the licensing of the premises for a medical marijuana dispensary is required.
• Description of products and services to be provided
• Floor plan, drawn to scale on 8-1/2 x 11” paper, showing the layout of the dispensary and the principal uses of the floor area, including where any services other than dispensing of medical marijuana are proposed to occur
• Security plan indicating how applicant will comply with security provisions listed in the ordinance
• An area map, drawn to scale on 8-1/2 x 11” paper, indicating, within a radius of one-quarter mile from the boundaries of the property upon which the dispensary is located, the proximity to any school, pre-school or child care establishment
• Zone use permit
• Copy of City sales tax license
• Copy of Burglar alarm permit
• Affidavit of Lawful Presence
2. Applications will be date and time stamped when submitted at front counter and will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy.
3. Applicant, all individuals with 10% ownership or more, and managers will be fingerprinted and criminal background checks will be conducted.
4. The application, floor plan, area map, and use permit will be scanned and sent to Development Services for review. Zoning regulations limit floor area to be used for cultivation to 10% of the gross floor except in industrial zone districts. Detailed floor plans must include any area proposed for cultivation.
5. Excise and Licenses inspectors will measure those facilities that must meet the spacing requirements after the criminal background report is reviewed.
6. Applicants will be given an inspection card after the criminal background report is reviewed and, if applicable, after measurements are taken. The applicant is responsible for contacting the agencies listed on the card and securing all approvals. Once all inspections are complete the applicant should contact Excise and Licenses for the final inspection.
7. The applicant will be notified, in writing, if the application is disqualified or the license is denied for any of the following reasons:
• Incomplete application
• False information
• Lack of possession of the premises
• Criminal background check report indicates felony conviction or completion of any portion of a felony sentence within the preceding five (5) years
• Failure to pass inspection by any agency inspecting the premises
• Failure to comply with spacing requirements
Any applicant whose application has been denied shall be entitled to a hearing on the application upon written request to the director. Any application that contains incomplete information shall be denied. Any application denied merely because the application was incomplete may be resubmitted.
8. Excise and Licenses Business Inspectors will conduct physical measurements at all locations that received their sales tax license and/or commenced operation after December 15, 2009.
Each licensee is required to renew the license annually. Renewal requirements:
• A complete application
• Criminal background check
• Proof of possession of premises
• Annual license fee
If you need further information or tips on anything regarding starting a medical marijuana dispensary, we are here to help. You can get our free dispensary starter newsletter by entering your name and email below and have extremely valuable information emailed to you on a regular basis.
Want to open a dispensary in your state?
YES, Matt! I Absolutely Want To Have The Clearest, Simplest, Most Complete
Send Me My 100% Free
You Will Receive the First Lesson in Your Inbox Immediately.
100% Spam Free! I Value Your Email Privacy.