503c Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation
12 KEY STEPS FOR FORMING A NONPROFIT PUBLIC BENEFIT CORPORATION EXEMPT UNDER IRC 501(c)(3) AS A PUBLIC CHARITY
1. Define the mission and develop the organizational plan.
- Basics of Developing Mission, Vision and Values Statements by Carter
2. Recruit and educate a qualified board.
- BoardSource: http://www.boardsource.org/
Select from Q&As Recruitment and Orientation and Roles and Responsibilities
- Four Cool Ideas for Recruiting New Board Members, Board Caf:
3. Refine the mission and the plan.
- What Should Our Mission Statement Say?
4. Draft and file the Articles of Incorporation.
- Organization of California Nonprofit, Nonstock Corporations, Your States Secretary of State:
5. Apply and obtain an Employer Identification Number.
- IRS Form SS-4: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
- Instructions for Form SS-4: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iss4.pdf
6. Draft the Bylaws.
- Establishing a Nonprofit Organization, Establish bylaws and board policies, Foundation Center:
7. Draft the Conflict of Interest Policy*
* While not formally required, adopting a conflict of interest policy is a strongly recommended best practice.
- See Instructions for Form 1023, Appendix A
8. Hold the first meeting of the board ? elect the officers, adopt the bylaws and conflict of interest policy, establish the tax year, and take other appropriate board actions.
- What Takes Place at Our First Board Meeting, Connecticut Nonprofit Information Network:
9. Register with the Your States Attorney Generals Registry of Charitable Trusts.
- Initial Registration Checklist: (CA example)
- Office of the Attorney General, FAQs: (CA example) http://caag.state.ca.us/charities/faq.htm
10. Prepare and file IRS Form 1023.
- IRS Form 1023: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1023.pdf
- Instructions for Form 1023: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf
- Blazek, Jody. IRS Form 1023 Tax Preparation Guide. John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
11. Prepare and file FTB Form 3500.
- FTB Form 3500 & Instructions (2005):
12. File the Statement of Information with the Secretary of State.
- Statement of Information (Domestic Nonprofit Corporation), Form SI-100 & Instructions:
The author does not intend the resources referenced herein to be referrals or endorsements.
If you need further information or tips on anything regarding starting a medical marijuana dispensary, we are here to help. You can get our free dispensary starter newsletter by entering your name and email below and have extremely valuable information emailed to you on a regular basis.
YES, Matt! I Absolutely Want To Have The Clearest, Simplest, Most Complete Dispensary Starter Guide Around!
Send Me My 100% Free Open-A-Dispensary Mini-Course and Freedom Card Today!
You Will Receive the First Lesson in Your Inbox Immediately.
100% Spam Free! I Value Your Email Privacy.
You may unsubscribe at anytime.